KC Manuscript Collection 316
B’nai B’rith: Joseph Strauss Lodge #1480 Collection, 1972-1981 and undated. KC Manuscript Collection 316. 1 Box
The name of the group, B’nai B’rith, means “Sons of the Covenant”, which refers to God’s covenant with the Hebrews, mentioned in many paces throughout the Old Testament. B’nai B’rith is an international Jewish service organization founded in 1843 in New York City. The collection contains records, correspondence, and general information regarding the Joseph Strauss Lodge # 1480, the B’nai B’rith lodge for the city of Kingsport. The lodge was part of district seven.
There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
This collection should be cited as:
B’nai B’rith: Joseph Strauss Lodge #1480 Collection, 1972-1981 and undated. KC Manuscript Collection 316, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
Norman Sobel donated this collection in July 2002.
Initial processing on the collection was done by Patrick Fessenbecker in 2002. Further processing and development of the finding aid was completed in January 2008 by Brianne Johnson.
It has been determined that there are no similar manuscript collections available elsewhere.
B’nai B’rith. District 7
B’nai B’rith. Joseph Strauss Lodge No. 1480 (Kingsport, Tenn.)
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
1. Blank forms, 1972 and undated
2. B’nai B’rith District seven, “The Service Fund Story,” undated
3. B’nai B’rith Martyrs’ Forest in Israel, undated
4. Correspondence, 1972-1980 and undated
5. Financial reports, 1973-1974
6. Fundraising handbook, undated
7. Joseph Strauss Lodge #1480, rubber stamp, undated
8. Leo N. Levi National Arthritis Hospital, undated
9. Membership, 1973-1980 and undated
10. Newsletters, 1981
11. Program Planning Calendar Workbook, 1980-1981
12. Publications, 1978 and undated
13. Sobel, Norman, day planner (includes Anti-Semitic stickers), 1976
14. Tennessee State Association Meeting, Chattanooga, Tenn., May 18, 1980