KC Manuscript Collection 541
Title: Business and Professional Women of Kingsport Records
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 541
Physical Description: 6 boxes, 2.5 linear feet
Creator: Business and Professional Women of Kingsport
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport
Provenance: The Business and Professional Women of Kingsport records were donated to the Archives of the City of Kingsport by Anita Gulley in July, 2012.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: This collection was processed by Kari Roueche and opened for research in March2013.
This collection should be cited as:
Business and Professional Women of Kingsport Records, 1940-2005. KC Manuscript Collection 541, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
The National Foundation of Business and Professional Women was formed in 1919 in response to the number of women needed in the workforce during World War I. In the 1930s, the organization became an international one. Its goals are to provide resources for and about working women and to secure equal pay and working conditions for women. Locally, BPW was first organized in Johnson City, Tennessee, in 1928. The Kingsport chapter’s objectives were to increase knowledge of community services and opportunities, participate in projects that help women and children, support the national foundation’s programs and initiate a local scholarship program, and to increase membership
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection is comprised of the local chapter’s administrative files and the documentation of their socials, monthly meetings, conventions, and outreach efforts. Most of the files consist of meeting minutes, handouts for new members, officer reports, printed material in relation to guest speakers, printed material and journals from the State and National organizations, and correspondence. Also in the files is a collection of numerous yearbooks that contain member information. The scrapbooks and photographs document chapter and state activities, such as monthly meetings, socials, annual conferences, and various activities in association with an annual Business Women’s Week. They also contain news clippings and souvenirs.
Business and Professional Women/USA
Girls Clubs of America, inc.
This collection is arranged into two series.
I. Administrative Files
II. Scrapbooks and Photographs
Series I, Administrative Files, 1940-2005, Boxes 1-4.
This series contains correspondence between the local chapter and the State and National Business and Professional Women (BPW) organizations. It also contains financial and membership records; information on the club’s numerous outreach programs such as Girls’ Club, Criteria Club, and scholarship awards; as well as photographs and news clippings. The series is arranged chronologically. The records for the year 2005 are grouped together by month. Undated files are located at the end of the series and are arranged alphabetically.
Series II, Scrapbooks and Photographs, 1942-2004, Boxes 5-6.
This series is comprised of four scrapbooks that were created by club officers and one folder of photographs that were never compiled into an album. The scrapbooks contain news clippings, photographs, memorabilia from BPW conventions, and souvenirs from convention host cities. The 1942-43 album is particularly fragile.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
Series I, Administrative Files, 1940-2005, 1-4.
1. A Business of Her Own, ca. 1940
2. Yearbooks, 1947-2004
3. Emblem Material, Biographical Survey for Newsletter, 1954-1966 & undated
4. Treasurer’s Reports & Budgets, 1961-1965
5. Finance, 1961-1968
6. Membership Prospects, 1961-1973
7. Girls’ Clubs, 1962-1966
8. Treasurer’s Reports, Budgets, 1963-1966
9. Status of Women in Tennessee, Governor’s Report, 1964
10. Treasurer’s Reports, 1965-1970
11. Criteria Club, 1966-1968
12. Nike and Samothrace Clubs, 1967 & undated
13. Correspondence, 1967-1968
14. Program Material, 1967-1972 & undated
15. Scholarships – Awards, 1968
16. Miscellaneous, 1968-1973
1. President’s File, 1969-1970
2. Business Women’s Week, Erwin, TN, 1969-1971
3. National Business Woman & National Federation Programs, 1969-1972
4. State Convention, Knoxville, 1970-1971
5. President’s Report, 1972
6. State Convention, Nashville, 1972
7. President’s Folder, 1973
8. Miscellaneous, 2002-2004
9. By-Laws, Applications, Agendas, 2003
10. Miscellaneous, 2005
11. Organizational Files (2004-2005), January 2005
12. Organizational Files (2003-2006), February 2005
1. Organizational Files (2002-2005), March 2005
2. Organizational Files (1999-2005), April 2005
3. Organizational Files (2003-2005), May 2005
4. Organizational Files (2002-2005), June 2005
5. Organizational Files (2003-2005), July 2005
6. Organizational Files (2003-2005), August 2005
7. Organizational Files (2002-2005), September 2005
8. Organizational Files (2002-2005), October 2005 1 of 2
1. Organizational Files (2002-2005), October 2005 2 of 2
2. Organizational Files (2003-2004), November 2005
3. Organizational Files (1972-2005), December 2005
4. Leadership Training, undated
5. Meeting Procedures, undated
6. Membership Handouts, undated
7. Miscellaneous, undated
8. National BPW History, undated
9. Training Literature, National Office, undated
Series II, Scrapbooks and Photographs, 1942-2004, 5-6.
1. Scrapbook, 1942-1943
2. Scrapbook, 1984-1985
3. Loose Photographs & Negatives, 2000 & undated
1. Scrapbook, 2002-2003
2. Scrapbook, 2003-2004