Search Finding Aids by Keyword(s)

First Broad Street United Methodist Church History Collection, 1949-1987

INTRODUCTION

Title: First Broad Street United MethodistChurch History Collection, 1949-1987

Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 335

Physical Description: .5 linear foot (1 box)

Creator: Margaret Wimberly

Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport

 

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

Provenance: The First Broad Street United Methodist Church History Collection was donated to the Archives of the City of Kingsport by Ann K. Morison, on behalf of Margaret and John Wimberly, in January 2000.

Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.

Processed by: Brianne Johnson processed the collection and developed the finding aid in March 2008.

 

COLLECTION CITATION

This collection should be cited as:

First Broad Street United MethodistChurch History Collection, 1949-1987. KC Manuscript Collection 335, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.

 

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL NOTE

The history of the FirstBroadStreetUnitedMethodistChurch is rooted in the Old Methodist Episcopal Church in the Boat Yard Community of early Kingsport. During the Civil War, the Methodists had divided into “Northern” and “Southern” groups. When modern Kingsport was being built, two members of the Methodist Episcopal Church (South), Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Dobyns, initiated plans to build a church top accommodate the growing congregation. With the help of Kingsport Improvement Company officials, Mr. J. Fred Johnson and Mr. John B. Dennis, a new church was built on what is now Church Circle.

 

The formal opening of the new BroadStreetMethodistChurch occurred on January 28, 1917 with the dedication occurring in June. In the early 1920’s the “Northern” Methodists built a church across the street from the BroadStreetChurch on the Church Circle. For many years the churches existed side by side until 1969 when the two churches merged to form the present First Broad Street United Methodist Church.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The collection contains original research on the FirstBroadStreetUnitedMethodistChurch for the book “Hearts Strangely Warmed: A History of the First Broad Street United Methodist Church, 1911-1975” by Margaret N. Wimberly and Winifred McMahon.  Included is  correspondence, photographs, church programs, and information on Methodism and local churches.  The original manuscript of the book is included as well as a copy of the published book. A listing of significant dates in the history of the church is also provided.

 

SUBJECTS

First Broad Street United Methodist Church (Kingsport, Tenn.)

Methodism

Methodism History

Methodist Churches

 

BOX AND FOLDER LIST

Box 1

  1. Correspondence (incoming and outgoing), 1975-1988
  2. First United Methodist of fall Branch, 1974
  3. Foundations of Faith in Sullivan, 1777-1935, 1986-1987
  4. Hearts Strangely Warmed: A History of the First Broad Street United Methodist Church, 1977-1975, 1976-1984
  5. Hearts Strangely Warmed: A History of the First Broad Street United Methodist Church, 1977-1975, original manuscripts, 1975 ( 1of 2)
  6. Hearts Strangely Warmed: A History of the First Broad Street United Methodist Church, 1977-1975, original manuscripts, 1975 ( 2of 2)
  7. Journal of the Holston Conference, 1949
  8. Journal of the Holston Conference, 1952
  9. Miscellaneous writings and church information, 1987 and undated
  10. Morrison Chapel United Methodist Church, 1974-1952
  11. Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church, 1981-1982 and undated
  12. Photographs, undated
  13. Programs, 1956,1985,1986 and undated
  14. Significant dates in the history of First Broad Street United Methodist, undated
  15. The United Methodist Reporter: The Spire and other newspaper clippings, 1976-1986 and undated
  16. Woman’s Society of Christian Service, Holston Conference, 1945