KC Manuscript Collection 539
Title: Guy Devault Collection
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 539
Physical Description: 1 box
Creator: Guy E. Devault
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport
Provenance: The Gut Devault Collection was donated to the Archives of the City of Kingsport by Maureen Raible in August 2012.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: This collection was processed by Brianne Wright and opened for research in February 2013.
This collection should be cited as:
Guy Devault Collection, 1900-1937. KC Manuscript Collection 539, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
Guy E. Devault, a long time resident of Kingsport organized the Kingsport Community Band in 1907. Devault was also the first superintendent of mail in Kingsport. He worked for the post office for 48 years, retiring in 1956. Guy Devault died in 1974 at the age of 84.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Guy Devault Collection contains correspondence, accounting records, receipts, and ordering information from Devault’s dealings with the Kingsport Community Band and C.G. Conn Ltd., a manufacturer of musical instruments.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
1. A collection of Original Compositions for School, Church, and Concert Use, and other musical selections, undated
2. American Railway Express, 1925-1928
3. Carl Fisher House, 1920
4. Certificate of Insurance, 1931
5. C.G. Conn, Ltd, 1923-1925
6. C.G. Conn, Ltd, acknowledgement of orders, 1925-1928 (1 of 2)
7. C.G. Conn, Ltd, acknowledgement of orders, 1925-1928 (2 of 2)
8. C.G. Conn, Ltd, commission credit memo, 1925-1931
9. C.G. Conn, Ltd, customer’s express receipt, 1923-1928
10. C.G. Conn, Ltd, receipt of remittance, 1925-1931
11. C.G. Conn, Ltd, refund memo, 1925-1926
12. Correspondence, miscellaneous, 1928
13. Correspondence, to and from C.G. Conn, Ltd and Guy E. Devault, 1925-1928 (1 of 3)
14. Correspondence, to and from C.G. Conn, Ltd and Guy E. Devault, 1925-1928 (2 of 3)
15. Correspondence, to and from C.G. Conn, Ltd and Guy E. Devault, 1925-1928 (3 of 3)
16. Henderson and Company (uniform makers), 1925
17. The H.N. White Company, correspondence and receipts, 1926-1928
18. The King Eternal: An Easter Cantata by Ira Wilson given by the Choir of the Methodist Episcopal Church, April 18, 1928
19. Kingsport Concert Band, 1926-1928
20. Map and Guide to Kingsport, Tennessee, 1956
21. Payment Agreements, 1924-1925
22. Receipts, 1900-1901
23. The Rudolph Wurlitzer Company, correspondence and receipts, 1928
24. University Music Book, owned by Fred Devault, 1937
25. York Band Instrument Company, 1928