James Madison Elementary School Scrapbook, 1972-1974


Title:JamesMadisonElementary School Scrapbook, 1972-1974

Collection Number:Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 324

Physical Description: .5 linear feet (1 box)

Creator: Reba Robinette

Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport



Provenance: The James Madison Elementary School Scrapbook was donated by Sue Arnold, niece of Reba Robinette, in February 2008.

Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.

Processed By:

Brianne Johnson developed the finding aid in March 2008.



JamesMadisonElementary School was built in 1949; however it was first known as FortRobinson and was part of the Sullivan County School System. In 1963, it was annexed to the City of Kingsport and after renovations it was renamed James Madison. The school, located at 2001 Greenway Street, was closed in 1983. The building is currently an adult day health care center known as Madison Center.

During the twenty years JamesMadisonElementary School was open it only had one principal, Reba Robinette. Miss Robinette was born in the Fairview Community of Scott County, Tennessee on November 24, 1914. She was one of eleven siblings. Miss Robinette received her undergraduate degree at LincolnMemorialUniversity and a mater’s degree from East Tennessee State University.

Never married, Miss Robinette dedicated her career to education. She served as principal of JamesMadisonElementary School and ThomasJeffersonSchool.

Reba Robinette died March 25, 2006 at the age of 91.



The collection consists of one box that contains scrapbook pages created by Reba Robinette. The scrapbook contains school pictures and documents various events and programs at JamesMadisonElementary School. The collection is dated 1972-74.



JamesMadisonElementary School (Kingsport, Tenn.)
Robinette, Reba Susan, 1914-2006.