KC Manuscript Collection 370
Title: KingsportGarden Club Collection
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 370
Physical Description: 8 boxes
Creator: Kingsport Garden Club
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport
Provenance: The provenance of this collection is unknown.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: Brianne Johnson processed the collection and developed the finding aid in May 2008. An extensive accrual was processed and added to the collection by intern Kari Roueche in August of 2013.
This collection should be cited as:
Kingsport Garden Club Collection, 1938-1994 and undated. KC Manuscript Collection 370, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
The Kingsport Garden Club was the first garden club organized in Kingsport. The club had an organizational meeting in November 1937 at the home of Mrs. C. B. Meade. Officers were elected, including Mrs. Meade as president. The Kingsport Garden Club officially began in 1938 and was limited to twenty-five members. The Garden Club participated in a number of projects and participated in a number of flowers shows.
The Kingsport Garden Club established the Memorial Dogwood Project in 1946 to purchase and plant dogwood trees along Memorial Boulevard. The purpose of the project was to honor serviceman killed in World War II. The project was later expanded to include other memorials in honor of club members and friends. The project ended in 1972 with 756 dogwood trees planted.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Kingsport Garden Club Collection contains meeting minutes and other administrative records of the Kingsport Garden Club. The collection contains information on the Memorial Dogwood Project, including a comprehensive list of the names of individuals who had dogwoods planted in their name. Yearbooks in the collection provide membership and committee information as well as information on various events the club participated in. The collection contains 4 scrapbooks. The scrapbooks consist of mostly newspaper clipping about the Kingsport Garden Club, its members, activities, flowers shows, and other garden clubs.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
- Constitution and By-Laws, undated
- Fiftieth Anniversary(1938-1988), guestbook, 1988
- Flower shows, 1951-1959
- Holston Valley Community Hospital Community Chest Campaign, 1957
- Kingsport Council of Garden Clubs, 1953-1954
- Meeting minutes, 1942-1952
- Meeting minutes, 1952-1958
- Meeting minutes, 1968-1975
- Meeting minutes, 1977-1979
- Meeting minutes, 1980-1986
- Meeting minutes, 1987-1990
- Memorial Dogwood Project, account book, 1970-1971
- Memorial Dogwood Project, historians file, 1990
- Memorial Dogwood Project, Mrs. J. C. White (Vera Wynkoop) File, 1949-1972
- Yearbooks, 1938-1950 (missing 1943, 1944 and 1945)
- Yearbooks, 1950-1960
- Yearbooks, 1960-1970
- Yearbooks, 1970-1980
- Yearbooks, 1980-1990 (missing 1988-1989)
- Yearbooks, 1990-1994
- Audiocassette, Fiftieth Anniversary Program, October 19. 1987
- Scrapbook, 1938-1963
- Scrapbook, 1960-1987
- Guidebook, Best Picks for each Season, 2005
- Scrapbook, 1948-1955
- Scrapbook, 1952-1963
1. Scrapbook, 1949-1958
2. Scrapbook, 2006-2011
2. Scrapbook, 1987-1999
1. Memorial Dogwood Project, 1946-1972
2. Resignation or change of status letters, 1992-2003
3. Treasurer’s Book, September 196o-December 1991
1. Scrapbook, 2000-2005