Search Finding Aids by Keyword(s)

Kingsport Postcards, 1920s-1951

KC Manuscript Collection 124

ABSTRACT:
This Kingsport Postcards collection consists of numerous postcard images of Kingsport, Tennessee.  Most of these images are linen products produced by the Curt Teich & Co., T. J. Stephenson, and the Asheville Post Card Co.  Among the more rare postcards is one featuring the Gaiety Theatre (this is a photo image) which opened late 1917-1918 and officially changed ownership and name to the Broadway Theatre in 1922.  There is also a Christmas card featuring the main building of the Kingsport Country Club located at the fork of Pineola and Lamont streets.  Most of the other images were mass produced and show general scenes at locally recognizable places such as Rotherwood, the Elm at Rotherwood, Meade, Tennessee Eastman, churches, and public buildings.

RESTRICTIONS:
There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.

COLLECTION CITATION:
This collection should be cited as:
Kingsport Postcards, 1920s-1951.  KC Manuscript Collection 124, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.

PROCESSED BY:
Brian Wilson processed the collection. Jeff A. Jenson developed the finding aid in June 2006. Brianne Johnson revised the finding aid in May 2008.

SUBJECTS
Historic buildings–Tennessee–Kingsport–Pictorial works.

Kingsport(Tenn.)–Pictorial works.

Postcards–Tennessee–Kingsport.

FOLDER LIST

FOLDER 1

*K-19 A General View by Night of Tennessee Eastman Corporation Plant, c. 1946s

*K-22U.S.Post Office, c. 1946s

*K-26 Broad Street Looking North, c. 1946s

*K-30 First Baptist Church, c. 1946s

*K-31Dobyns-Bennett High School, c. 1946s

*K-33 Airplane View of Tennessee Eastman Company, c. 1946s

*K-34 Legion Pool with Civic Auditorium and J. Fred Johnson Park in the Background (2 cards), c. 1946s

* “The Old Elm” on Rotherwood Farm near Kingsport, Tenn. Old Silk Mill in Rear, undated

*Kingsport Country Club – Christmas Card, undated

*Tipton Building, undated

*Gaiety Theatre, c. 1917-1922

FOLDER 2

*First Baptist Church, 1951

*Kingsport Civic Auditorium, 1951

*Plant of the Tennessee Eastman Company, 1951

*Dobyns-Bennett High School, 1951

*RecreationCenter—American Legion Pool, Civic Auditorium and J. Fred Johnson Park with Stadium, 1951

*Rotherwood, 1951

*Tri-City Airport, 1951

*Ridgefields Country Club, 1951

*Greetings from Kingsport Tennessee, 1951

*First Presbyterian Church, 1951

*J. Fred Johnson Memorial Stadium, 1951

*Kingsport Inn, 1951

*Beautiful Highway Scene Eastern Tennessee, 1951

*First Methodist Church, 1951

*Cherokee Dam,Eastern Tennessee, 1951

*Civic Center and Church   Circle, 1951

*Aerial View of Watauga Dam and Lake, 1951

*Massengill Memorial Monument Intersection of Highways between Kingsport,Bristol, and Johnson   City,Tennessee, 1951

*Tennessee Eastman Company, Division of Eastman Kodak Company, 1951 (Back Cover)

*Country Club and Golf Links, c. 1929 (Front Cover)

*Broad Street, From Main Street, Looking North, c. 1929

*The Homestead, Sullivan and Clay Streets, c. 1929

*The Kingsport Inn, Broad and Sullivan Streets, c. 1929

*C.C.&O. Railroad Passenger and Freight Stations, c. 1929

*Community “Y,” Center and Shelby Streets, c. 1929

* “Busy Corner,” – Clinchfield Portland Cement Corp. in Fore Ground, c. 1929

*Shelby Apartments,Shelby Street, c. 1929

*Central High School Building, Watauga and Sevier Streets, c. 1929

*The Famous Rotherwood Farm at the Junction of the North and South Forks of Holston River, c. 1929

*The Circle—Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches, c. 1929

*The Kingsport Press, Where Books are Made, c. 1929

*Tennessee Eastman Corporation, c. 1929

*Kingsport Extract Corporation and Kingsport Tannery, c. 1929

*Corning Glass Works (Southern Division), c. 1929

*Watauga Street in Resident Section, c. 1929

*Meade Corporation, Pulp Mill and Finishing Plant, c. 1929

*KingsportHosiery Mills, c. 1929

*A Bird’s-Eye View of Kingsport,Tenn.From “The Cement Hill,” c. 1929

*Kingsport Brick Corp. Showing Tile and Brick Plants, c. 1929 (Back Cover)