Kingsport Public Library will Reopen to the Public beginning Monday, March 1st. Curbside pickup will remain available.
Beginning Monday, March 1st, we plan to move into our next phase of reopening to the public. Our hours will be Monday-Saturday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm.
During this phase, the Library will be open to the public to allow for selection and circulation of materials. In an effort to minimize the risk to the public and staff during this stage, lingering or using the library as a meeting space will not be allowed. All seating, toys, and interactive activities will be removed. Materials will continue to be quarantined the recommended 72 hours when returned. In addition, the number of patrons in the building and the hours of operation are reduced to allow for appropriate social distancing and the sanitizing of the public spaces.
Public Internet Computers will be available by appointment only. The computers being used will be at least 6 feet apart and will be cleaned between users. Sessions will be 45 minutes in length.
Curbside service will continue, allowing community members to pickup materials without entering the library. Appointments can be made by visiting the event calendar at www.kingsportlibrary.org or by calling 423-229-9465. Same day appointments MUST be made before 3:30 p.m. for same day pickup. If you are not sure what books to request try the Next Read service available at https://tinyurl.com/y44hrllq
Patrons are asked to wear a mask and maintain social distance as recommended by the CDC. Additionally, if you are sick please stay home.
This plan is based on the best practice recommendations and what libraries across the country and around the world are doing during this pandemic. Our goal is to be able to meet the needs of the community while doing all that is possible to minimize the risk of exposure for the community and the staff.
* No donations are being accepted at this time.
Steps for curbside pickup:
- Materials must be placed on hold in order to be picked up. Place holds by logging in to your account on kingsportlibrary.org or by calling 423-229-9465. You can watch a “How to Place a Hold” walkthrough video on our youtube here: https://youtu.be/Mete3L7bo3M
- Limited to 10 holds per card
- Items placed on hold are not guaranteed to be available
- Schedule an appointment for curbside pickup by visiting the event calendar at kingsportlibrary.org or by calling 423-229-9465
- Offered Monday-Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m
- Appointments must be schedules by 3:30 p.m. for same day pickup
- When you arrive at the Library park in spot on New St and call 423-229-9366 to let us know you have arrived
- Be ready to tell us who you are picking up books for
- Let us know the make, model, and color of the vehicle
- Open your trunk
- When the staff member brings out the books hold your driver’s license up to the window so they can verify your identity
- Books will be placed in the trunk
**Returns MUST be placed by you in the outside book returns, staff members are unable to take your returns at curbside delivery.
**No donations will be accepted
**Staff are unable to collect fines
Your Kingsport Public Library card provides access to the many digital services we offer. Explore e-books and e-audiobooks through Libby and Tumblebooks, enjoy free access to digital magazines through Libby, get creative with Creativebug, learn a language with Transparent Language, or explore the variety of offerings in Tennessee Electronic Library.
If you need help getting started with the digital services or have a question staff will be available Monday – Friday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. by phone, 423-224-2539.
Thank you for your understanding as we do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit these sites:
- CDC official COVID-19 Overview Page
- Visualization of effects of social isolation- Washington Post
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center