Kingsport Public Library’s next phase of reopening begins July 6th.
The Kingsport Public Library is planning to move to the next phase of reopening to the public on Monday, July 6, 2020. The hours of operation will be limited to Monday-Saturday 9:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. to allow for the sanitizing of the public spaces. In addition, the number of patrons in the building will be reduced to allow for appropriate social distancing.
During this phase the Library will be open to the public to allow for Browse and Go (selection and check-out of materials) only. In an effort to minimize the risk to the public and staff during this stage lingering to read newspapers or magazines, the charging of devices, or using the Library as a meeting space will not be allowed. All seating, newspapers, and toys/interactive activities will be removed. Donations will not be accepted and there will be no volunteers. The Archives is closed.
Materials, when returned, will continue to be quarantined the recommended 72 hours.
A limited number of Public Access Computers will be available by appointment only. Appointments will be limited to one 45 minute appointment per day. Separate appointments will be available to take the Tennessee Boating exam. Appointments may be made by calling the Library, 224-2539. The computers being used will be at least 6 feet apart and will be cleaned between users.
Curbside service will continue, allowing community members to pickup materials without entering the library. Appointments may be made by calling the Library, 229-9465 or visiting the website.
Patrons will be able to enter and exit the Library only through the Broad Street entrance. Materials will be returned and checked out ONLY at the circulation desk. The Youth Service desk will not be checking out materials.
To help maintain social distance aisles will be one way. In addition the main stairs will be up only and the back stairs will be for down only. The elevator will be limited to 1 person or family group at a time.
In accordance with Sullivan County Executive Order One patrons are required to wear a cloth face covering. Patrons are also asked to maintain at least 6-foot social distance from others as recommended by the CDC. Additionally, if you are sick please stay home.
Curbside service will be by appointment only. Appointments can be made by visiting the event calendar or by calling 423-229-9465. Curbside appointments are offered Monday-Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and MUST be made by 3:30 p.m. for same day pickup.
Steps for curbside pickup:
- Materials must be placed on hold in order to be picked up. Place holds by logging in to your account on kingsportlibrary.org or by calling 423-229-9465. You can watch a “How to Place a Hold” walkthrough video on our youtube here: https://youtu.be/Mete3L7bo3M
- Limited to 10 holds per card
- Items placed on hold are not guaranteed to be available
- Schedule an appointment for curbside pickup by visiting the event calendar at kingsportlibrary.org or by calling 423-229-9465
- Offered Monday-Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
- Appointments must be schedules by 3:30 p.m. for same day pickup
- When you arrive at the Library park in spot on New St and call 423-229-9366 to let us know you have arrived
- Be ready to tell us who you are picking up books for
- Let us know the make, model, and color of the vehicle
- Open your trunk
- When the staff member brings out the books hold your driver’s license up to the window so they can verify your identity
- Books will be placed in the trunk
**All returns MUST be placed by you in the outside book returns, staff members are unable to take your returns at curbside delivery
**No donations will be accepted
**Staff are unable to collect fines
Even though the Library building will be closed, your Kingsport Public Library card provides access to the many digital services we offer. Explore e-books and e-audiobooks through Libby and Tumblebooks, enjoy free access to digital magazines through RB Digital and Libby, get creative with Creativebug, learn a language with Transparent Language, or explore the variety of offerings in Tennessee Electronic Library.
If you need help getting started with the digital services or have a question staff will be available Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. by phone, 423-224-2539.
Thank you for your understanding as we do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit these sites:
- CDC official COVID-19 Overview Page
- Visualization of effects of social isolation- Washington Post
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center