C. James Frye Collection, c. 1918-c. 1942
KC Manuscript Collection 212
Archives of the City of Kingsport
The C. James Frye Collection contains eighteen images on CD-ROM showing people and places in Kingsport, Tennessee taken between 1918 and the early 1940s. Many of these photographs were captured by Doctor Charles G. Frye. Images included are buildings such as the YMCA, Kingsport Inn, and a variety of houses. Other pictures show local residents posing while doing work, going to public events, or engaged in leisure activities.
There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
This collection should be cited as:
C. James Frye Collection, c. 1918-c. 1942. KC Manuscript Collection 212, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
C. James Frye donated this collection in 2005.
Jeff A. Jenson processed the collection and developed the finding aid in May 2007. Brianne Johnson revised the finding aid in May 2008.
1. Wanola Street at Holston Street, photo taken by Dr. Charles G. Frye, undated
2. Freda Burton on church lawn, undated
3. Three children (Fugat girls) on car runner, undated
4. Jim Frye (donor) sitting in the front yard of 718 Holston Street (the end of Holston Street, the area behind him later became Cherokee Village), 1926
5. View looking towards the Kingsport Inn from the third floor of the YMCA building on Center Street. Street in the foreground is Broad Street, photo taken by Dr. Charles G. Frye, undated
6. View of West Sullivan Street from above Jackson School looking toward downtown (former Gate City Highway), undated
7. House at 718 Holston Street, undated
8. Children in swimming suits after swimming at Shipp’s Spring on Bloomingdale Road near King’s Plaza (Ship Park), Left to Right – back row: Blanche Jacobs, Elizabeth Sheucy, and Mildred Burton – Left to Right – front row: Jim Frye, Betty Frye, and Cecil Frye, c. 1932
9. Frede Cove Burton (later wife of Dr. Charles Frye) at Kingsport City Limits Sign, c. 1918
10. Family at Citizens Supply Miniature house, undated
11. Movie goers in front of Gem Theatre in Kingsport, c. 1922
12. Mildred Agnus Burton (sister of C.J. Frye) in front of car, April 1939
13. Children with Car, Jim Frye (standing left), Cecil Frye (striped shirt), Dickie Blankenbecler (son of Jitney in glasses), c. 1942
14. Freda Covey Burton (later Mrs. Charles G. Frye), sitting in grass near house at the corner of East Sullivan Street near the Wilcox underpass, undated
15. Parks Grills (in hat and glasses – foreman of Kingsport Water Department) and unidentified man on dam at Bays Mountain, photo taken by Dr. Charles G. Frye, undated
16. Kingsport YMCA building (later City Hall), photo taken by Dr. Charles G. Frye, c. 1922-1923