KC Manuscript Collection 63
The Kingsport Branch of the Church Women United was an interdenominational protestant organization active in Kingsport and Hawkins County,Tennessee between 1947 and 2004. Collection materials for the local organization consist of clippings, minutes, correspondence, reports, event materials, photographs, audio recordings, and leadership materials along with publications and administrative documents from the state group and the national Church Women United. In addition, there are a few items from the Fifth Monday Prayer Union that might have been a local predecessor to the Church Women United. Most documents in this collection were produced between the 1970s and the 1990s. Collection materials have been divided into two series concerning either the Kingsport-Hawkins County branch or related organizations.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection has been divided into two series that are arranged alphabetically. The first series is the Kingsport Branch, 1954-2004. The second series with materials related to the Fifth Monday Prayer Group, Church Women United in Tennessee, and the national Church Women United is called Related Organizations, 1933-1997. Included with the related organizations are publication materials from the state and national groups that include “Tidings” and Churchwoman.
There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
This collection should be cited as:
Church Women United,Kingsport Branch Collection, 1933-2004. KC Manuscript Collection 63, Archives of the City of Kingsport,Tennessee.
Francis Smithwick donated this collection in August 2005.
Jeff A. Jenson processed the collection and developed the finding aid in March 2006.
OCLC AND RLIN:
After checking the OCLC and RLIN national databases in March 2006, it has been determined that there are no similar manuscript collections about the Kingsport Branch of Church Women United available elsewhere.
Church Women United (Kingsport,Tennessee).
Church Women United in Tennessee.
Church Women United.
Women in the ecumenical movement.
Women and spiritualism.
Tennessee–Kingsport– Societies and clubs.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
SERIES I, Kingsport Branch, 1954-2004
1. Correspondence and Minutes, 1954-88 and 1991
2. Correspondence, 1986-92 and 1996
3. Correspondence, Incoming, to Betty Dickson, 1992-94
4. Financial Materials, Reports, Statements, and Miscellaneous, 1985-92
5. “Kibler, Ann,” 1990-92 (includes minutes and correspondence)
6. Leadership, Frances Smithwick’s President File with brief organization history, 2004
7. Leadership, Frances Smithwick’s President File, 2002
8. Leadership, Frances Smithwick’s President File, 2003
9. Leadership, Handbook for Local Units: On Our Way Together, 1985 and 1993 & Leadership, On Our Way Together, 1972
10. Leadership, Handbook for Local Units, from Church Women United to Betty Dickson, Spring 1993
11. Leadership, “Lists of Officers,” 1964-95
12. Leadership, Packet Materials, 2002-04
13. Programs and Attendance Rosters, 1978 and 1989-2003 (Includes May Fellowship Day, World Community Day, and World Day of Prayer)
14. Programs and Bulletins, 1957-61 and 1981-96
15. Scrapbook, 1952-94 (Includes clippings, awards, correspondence, and photographs)
16. “Scrapbook,” 1974-81
17. Scrapbook, Clippings and Photographs, 1998 (primarily about Jeannette Ralston)
Oversized Scrapbook, Heritage Album, 1950-90
Series II, Related Organizations, 1933-1997
18.Church Women United in Tennessee, By-Laws, undated; Minutes, 1951 and 1995; 50th Anniversary Celebration Bulletin, 1997; and Pin, undated
19. Church Women United in Tennessee, “Tidings,” 1972-93
20. Church Women United in the USA, 40th Anniversary 1941-1981
21. Church Women United in the USA, Churchwoman, 1989-96
22. Church Women United in the USA, Churchwoman, 2000-04
23. Fifth Monday Prayer Union, Constitution, Minutes, and Clippings, 1933