KC Manuscript Collection 292
Genevieve Shivell and her husband H.J. moved from Michigan to Kingsport in 1919. Mr. Shivell managed the belting division of the Grant Leather Company, and Genevieve Shivell helped create the Kingsport Book Club, the forerunner of the Kingsport Public Library. After the Book Club ceded its collection to the City in 1929, Genevieve Shivell became a charter member of the new Library Board. She continued her affiliation with the Library for 42 years. Today, the children’s department of the library bears her name.
Upon her death in 1994, at age 100, she was remembered not only for her contributions to the library but also the founding of the Women’s Auxiliary at Holston Valley Hospital and Medical Center. Annually the Genevieve Shivell Award is given to the outstanding volunteer of the year. She was also remembered for her rose gardens, at one time over 100 bushes.
The Genevieve Shivell Records and Correspondence collection contains information on the programs Shivell was involved with. Some of these programs include the Kingsport Book Club (later the Kingsport Library) and the Women’s Auxiliary at Holston Valley Hospital and Medical Center.
There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
This collection should be cited as:
Genevieve Shivell Collection, 1949-1987. KC Manuscript Collection 292, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
P.J. Shivell donated this collection in 1998.
Karen V. Ankabrandt, Archives Intern, developed the finding aid in January 2008. Brianne Johnson revised the finding aid in May 2008.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
- Miscellaneous News Clippings, 1975, 1978, 1983, 1986, and undated
- Miscellaneous Newspaper Articles, 1959, 1968, 1975, 1979, 1986, and undated
- “A Statement of Program for the Kingsport Public Library,” submitted to the City Manager, 17 September 1958
- Holston Valley Community Hospital Annual Report, year ending 30 September 1953
- Holston Valley Community Hospital Women’s Auxiliary Annual Report, 1952-53
- Sullivan County Libraries Council, Kingsport Library Commission, East Tennessee State College (Kingsport Branch), correspondence, 1960-61
- “History of Kingsport Public Library,” handwritten speech by Genevieve Shivell, undated
- “History of Kingsport Book Club and Public Library,” outline, notes, and cassette tape, 1985
- Correspondence and Notes, c. 1945
- Letter from Creighton L. Sherman to Genevieve Shivell, 10 June 1986, and News Clipping from The Marshall Community Ad-Visor, 28 May 1986
- Kingsport Times-News, 6th Annual Star Letter-Writers Awards Dinner, 20 February 1987
- Material Pertaining to the Sullivan County Library, minutes, budget, related material, 1949-60, and Report on ALA Convention in Minneapolis, 1954
- Copies of Letters Regarding Kingsport Library Policies, Objectives, Need for Additional Staff, and Ordinance 1368 Creating Kingsport Public Library Commission, 1954
- Women’s Auxiliary of Holston Valley Community Hospital, minutes, 1952
- Women’s Auxiliary of Holston Valley Community Hospital, correspondence, 1952
- Kingsport Garden Club Presentations, written by Genevieve Shivell, “Hollies” and “Origin of the Rose,” c. 1956
- Personal Appointment Book, 1956
- Personal Notebook with Handwritten Notes on Leather Industry, Kingsport Public Library, etc., c. 1958
- Miscellaneous Items, 1958, 1964, 1983, 1986, and undated
- “Journey,” “An Industrial and Commercial History of the Tri-Cities in Tennessee,” “Trek to the King’s Mountain,” and “Long Island of the Holston,” copies of writings of Dr. Elery A. Lay, 1960, 1974, and 1976