Mack Riddle Collection,
KC Manuscript Collection 311
Archives of the City of Kingsport
400 Broad Street
Kingsport, Tennessee 37660
Title: Mack Riddle Collection, c.1912-2001
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 311
Physical Description: 4 boxes
Creator: Mack Riddle
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport
Provenance: The Mack Riddle Collection was donated to the Archives of the City of Kingsport by Mamie Riddle in July 2003.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: Brianne Johnson processed the collection and developed the finding aid in March 2008.
This collection should be cited as:
Mack Riddle Collection, c.1912-2001. KC Manuscript Collection 311, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
James M. “Mack” Riddle was born in Linden, Virginia on September 26, 1913. In 1928, Riddle moved to Kingsport and began working for the Eastman Chemical Company in 1933 where he worked for forty years, retiring in 1973.
In 1932 he joined Frank Taylor to create the “Frank and Mack” variety show. The show featured comedy skits and musical performances.
Riddle served five years in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a lifetime member of the American Legion Hammond Post No. 3. Known as “Mr. Fourth of July”, Riddle served as chairman of the Fourth of July Parade for 45 years. Riddle served as grand marshal in the 1996 parade and Mayor Ruth Montgomery also proclaimed July 4th, 1996 “Mack Riddle Day”.
Mack Riddle died in 1999.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Mack Riddle Collection contains information maintained by Mack Riddle throughout his lifetime as a comedian, entertainment promoter, and civic organizer. The collection includes photographs, correspondence, news clippings, and promotional signs. Also included is an oversized scrapbook of photographs and news clippings that document the American Legion Fourth of July celebration.
- American Legion. Hammond Post No. 3 (Kingsport, Tenn.)
- Frank and Mack Show
- Parades & Processions
- Riddle, James M. (Mack), 1913-1999
- Variety shows (Theater)
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
1. American Legion Carnival Sign, undated
2. Brochures for various performers, undated
3. Comedy routines, 1945-1964
4. Comedy routines, undated
5. Correspondence (to Mack Riddle), 1951-1999 (1 of 2)
6. Correspondence (to Mack Riddle), 1951-1999 (2 of 2)
7. Fourth of July Parade, 1963-1986 and undated
8. “Frank and Mack” Show, 1947-1977
9. “Frank and Mack” Show, undated
10. Kiwanis Kapers, 1960-1977 (1 of 2)
11. Kiwanis Kapers, 1960-1977 (2 of 2)
1. Miscellaneous, 1939-2001
2. Miscellaneous, personal notes, undated
3. Newspaper clippings, 1947-1999 (1 of 2)
4. Newspaper clippings, 1947-1999 (2 of 2)
5. Notebook, jokes and skits, undated
6. Negatives- Parade, 1997 and slides, undated
7. Photographs, Mack Riddle and “Frank and Mack” show 1934-1979 and undated
8. Photographs, Miscellaneous, undated
9. Photographs, parades, 1912 and undated
10. Photographs, parades, various dates (1 of 3)
11. Photographs, parades, various dates (2 of 3)
12. Photographs, parades, various dates (3 of 3)
1. Photographs, various dates
1. Scrapbook, 1930’s-1994
2. Oversized news clippings, undated