Oakwood Market Scrapbook, 1948-1976

Title: Oakwood Supermarket Collection
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 570
Physical Description: 1 scrapbook
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport


Provenance: The Oakwood Supermarket Scrapbook was donated to the Archives of the City of Kingsport by Harold Deskin in March 2014.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: This collection was processed by Brianne Wright and opened for research in August 2017.


This collection should be cited as:
Oakwood Supermarket Scrapbook. KC Manuscript Collection 570, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.

Oakwood Market was owned and operated by Wallace Boyd and Dick Stout. Boyd and Stout grew up together and graduated from High School in Williamsburg, Kentucky. The two men became involved in the grocery business in Clinton, Tennessee before locating in Kingsport. The first Oakwood Market, on Eastman Road, was opened in 1948. The second Oakwood Market opened on West Sullivan Street in 1949.

The Oakwood Market Scrapbook contains photographs and newsclippings pertaining to the activities of Oakwood Market. The scrapbook dedicated to Wallace Boyd from Ernest Denny. Denny was a one-time office manager at Oakwood.