KC Manuscript Collection 548
Title: S.A. Dorsett Papers
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) #548
Physical Description: 2 boxes, 1 linear foot
Creator: S.A. Dorsett
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport
Provenance: The S. A. Dorsett Papers collection was donated to the Archives of the City of Kingsport by Mike Morison in August, 2012.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: This collection was processed by Brianne Wright and Kari Roueche and opened for research in April 2013.
This collection should be cited as:
S. A. Dorsett Papers, 1918-1958. KC Manuscript Collection 548, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
Stephen Asbury Dorsett was born in North Carolina on November 24, 1862. He was one of four children born to William F. and Lydia Caroline Dorsett. He was first married to Hattie Higgins in 1884 in North Carolina. The couple had four children together; Otho, Claire, Walker, and Jackson. Hattie passed away in 1911. Tax records show Dorsett and his second wife Josephine English Dorsett residing in Kingsport as early as 1918. Stephen’s brother Franklin Arthur Dorsett had ties to Greensboro, NC where he owned a bicycle and repair shop called F. A. Dorsett, Son, & Co. Dorsett kept in close contact with his brother as is reflected in the frequent correspondence between them.
In Kingsport, S. A. Dorsett pursued several business interests in Kingsport. He owned rental properties, a service station on Hillcrest, and we worked as a freight agent for both American Railway Express and Clinchfield Railroad Company. He was also a founder of the Kingsport Industrial Finance Corporation and served as its vice-president.
In the community, S.A. Dorsett was a charter member of the Kingsport Kiwanis Club, a member of the Appalachian Traffic Club, and dedicated many hours toward the establishment of a local airport. He passed away on July 12, 1958 at the age of 95.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection is comprised of correspondence, receipts, financial documents, invoices, contracts, and other records in relation to S. A. Dorsett’s business endeavors and his personal accounts. Mr. Dorsett owned several properties and, therefore, many files document communication with his tenants, payment of property taxes and repair bills, etc. His employment included owning a filling station and staff positions with American Railway Express and with the Clinchfield Railroad Company. Much of the files record transactions and communication with business entities that had dealings with these firms. Included in this collection are files relating to prominent businesses that operated in early Kingsport for many years, such as the Kingsport Improvement Co., and Bennett & Edwards, Inc., insurance.
This collection consists of two boxes and no series or subseries. The folders are arranged alphabetically by business name or by the name of an individual.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
1. American Railway Express, 1924-1925
2. Appalachian Traffic Club, 1940
3. Ernest Atkins, 1944
4. Bennett & Edwards, 1930-1957
5. Charles Service Station, November 1951-January 1952
6. Citizens Supply Corporation, 1924-1926
7. Clark-Jones-Sheeley Co., 1925
8. Clinchfield Railroad Company, 1924-1935
9. Community Fire Department, Inc., 1952
10. Dobyns-Taylor Hardware Company, undated
11. S. A. Dorsett to/from F. A. Dorsett, December 1921-October 1922
12. Duffer-Taylor Tire Service, Inc., 1952
13. Farmers & Merchants Bank, 1925-1931
14. First National Bank, 1920-1952
15. First National Bank, Jonesboro, re: Albert Abel, 1946-1949
16. Everett Fisher, re: Airport, 1930
17. Hal-A-Fum Co., 1925
18. Harris & Graves, 1925
19. Hayes Service Station, 1926-1927
20. Hillcrest Service Station, 1947-1952
21. Thomas F. House, eight essays, undated
22. Income Tax, 1918-1922
23. International Grapho Analysis Society, 1954
24. International Typewriter Exchange, 1925
25. J. Fred Johnson & Company, Inc., 1924-1933
1. Kingsport Building & Loan Association, 1930
2. Kingsport Grocery Co., 1944
3. Kingsport Motor Co., 1924-1926
4. Kingsport Plumbing & Heating Co., 1927
5. Kingsport Press, 1924-1928
6. Kingsport Improvement Co., 1921-1954
7. Kingsport Industrial Bank, 1931
8. Kingsport Tire Company, undated
9. Kiwanis Club, 1931-1956
10. Loan Payments on Land Sale, W. B. Smith to B. C. Pendleton, 1923
11. J. A. McCurry Auto Parts, 1952
12. Michigan State Aviation School, 1929-1930
13. S. C. Minnich, re: rent negotiations & repairs, 1952
14. Miscellaneous, 1924-1954
15. Motor Finance Corp., re: H. F. Meade, March 1924-March 1925
16. Property Taxes, city & county, and car permits, 1927-1958
17. Republic Truck Sales Co., Inc., 1924
18. Salyer Candy Company, 1951-1952
19. Spiegel Check Forgery, 1955
20. Staunton Military Academy, 1923-1925
21. Survey of the S. A. Dorsett Property, July 2, 1950
22. Tennessee Motor Co. 1926
23. Tipton & Reed, doctors, 1926-1927
24. White Motor Co., 1926-1927