Honest John’s was located on East Stone Drive and was owned by John D. Barker. Honest John’s operated as a restaurant, gas station, and souvenir/novelty shop. The “Big Indian” carved by Honest John himself was 32 feet tall and although Honest John’s closed years ago the statue still stands today.
Photographer: Thomas McNeer, Jr.
Date Taken: 1960
Collection(s): Thomas McNeer, Jr. Collection, 1945-1988
Rights: Use of this image is governed by U.S. and international copyright laws. Image is property of the Archives of the City of Kingsport. High-resolution versions are available from the Archives in most instances.