Search Finding Aids by Keyword(s)

Edgar Calhoun Collection, c. 1791-1974

KC Manuscript Collection 186

INTRODUCTION
Title: Edgar Calhoun Collection

Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 186

Physical Description: 4 Boxes

Creator: Edgar Calhoun

Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
Provenance: Mrs. Edgar Calhoun donated this collection.

Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.

Processed by: Jeff A. Jenson processed the collection and developed the finding aid in February 2007. Brianne Johnson revised the finding aid in May 2008.
COLLECTION CITATION
This collection should be cited as:
Edgar Calhoun Collection, c.1791-1974. KC Manuscript Collection 186, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.

ABSTRACT:
The Edgar Calhoun Collection consists of photographs and negatives compiled or taken primarily during the 1960s and early 1970s. Images include views of people, graves, and historic buildings and locations around the area of Kingsport, Tennessee. Included are shots of restoration at the Netherland Inn, Native American graves on Ridgefields, Ross Iron Works, Broad Street Methodist Church, a Flatboat adventure, and the Wills-Dickey Stone House along with many other images. Although most negatives have corresponding photographs, there are some negatives and photographs without equivalent images. The collection also contains nails from the iron forge near Rotherwood, an iron spike from the Carolina Clinchfield and Ohio Railroad, and ledger pages from the first Cotton Mill in Kingsport.

The Cotton Mill, located about 400 yards from the Rotherwood Bridge, was built by David Ross, Sr. David Ross, Sr., was an industrialist from Richmond, Virginia.

BOX AND FOLDER LIST
BOX 1

FOLDER 1 (Prints, c. 1910-1974)

PAGES 1-2
Block House, May 1958, September 1963, and September 1967 (6 images)

PAGES 3-4
Broad Street Methodist Church, undated (7 images)

PAGES 5-6
Broad Street Methodist Church, October 1969 (9 images)

PAGE 7
Broad Street Methodist Church, 1970 (4 images)

PAGE 8
Clinchfield Railroad Arch at Reedy Creek in Kingsport, January 1974 (4 images)

PAGE 9
Exchange Place, 1973 (6 images)

PAGE 10
Flatboats Adventure, undated (5 images)

PAGE 11
Float, Horse Drawn, c. 1910 or 1912 (1 image)
Liberty Bond Sales Drive, undated (2 images)

PAGE 12
Graves, Colonel S.K.N. Patton and Catherine Patton, Fall Branch Methodist Cemetery, January 1967 (3 images)

PAGES 13-14
Graves, Native Burial Grounds, “Ridgefield Indians,” January 1967 (6 images)

PAGES 15-17
Graves, Old Burial Ground (Boatyard Cemetery)
Brick Meeting House, undated (14 images)

PAGES 18-19
Jackson School Museum, 1968 and 1971 (13 images)

PAGE 20
Kingsport, Fire Department, 1917 (1 image) Kingsport, Oklahoma School, undated (1 image)

FOLDER 2 (Prints, c. 1910-1974)

PAGE 1
Men’s Bible Class of Kingsport, Men Walking, undated (1 image)
Post Office, Entrance with people outside the Company Store, undated (1 image)
Railroad Station, People Waiting near railroad cars, April 1910 (1 image)

PAGE 2
Myers Mill on Furnace Branch, Frame work on old Jacob Myers’s Mill, undated and 1971 (4 images)

PAGE 3
Netherland Inn Road, Hoffman House, 1974 (1 image)
Netherland Inn, 1970 and 1974 (2 images)
Netherland, George (Home) (?), undated (1 image)

PAGE 4-6
Netherland Inn, Excavation, 1969 (13 images)

PAGE 7
Netherland Inn, October 1969 (4 images)

PAGE 8
Netherland Inn, June 1971 (4 images)

PAGES 9-10
Old Log House on Holston River, 1967 and undated (6 images)

PAGES 11-13
Parade, 4 July 1967 (11 images)

PAGE 14
Portrait Drawing, Bennett, Mr., undated (1 image)
Portrait Drawing, Dobyns, J.W., undated (1 image)
Trigorna (?) Elm Tree, undated (2 images)

PAGES 15-16
Ross Iron Works location on the North Fork Holston, 1974 (8 images)

PAGES 17-19
Saddlebags East, April 1966 (12 images)

PAGE 20
Tilt Hammer Rock, 1970 and undated (2 images)

PAGE 21
Wills-Dickey Stone House (4 images)

FOLDER 3 (Negatives, 1882-1974)

PAGE 1
Block House, 1963 and 1967 (5 images)

PAGE 2
Broad Street Methodist Church, October 1969 and 1970 (12 images)

PAGE 3
Clinchfield Railroad Arch at Reedy Creek in Kingsport, January 1974 (4 images)
Flatboats Adventure, undated (6 images)
Myers Mill on Furnace Branch, Frame work on old Jacob Myers’s Mill, undated and 1971 (3 images)

PAGE 4
Exchange Place, 1973 (6 images)
Netherland Inn, 1969 (2 images)
Netherland Inn, 1970 (1 image)
Netherland Inn, 1974 (1 image)
Netherland Inn, Excavation, 1969 (9 images)
Netherland Inn, June 1971 (4 images)
Netherland Inn, October 1969 (4 images)
North Fork Holston River, undated (4 images)
Unknown Girl on Porch, undated (2 images)

PAGE 5
Grave, Unknown, undated (1 image)
Graves, Colonel S.K.N. Patton and Catherine Patton, Fall Branch Methodist Cemetery, January 1967 (3 images)
Graves, Native Burial Grounds, “Ridgefield Indians,” January 1967 (6 images)
Unknown People, Possibly George Netherland, undated (2 images)

PAGE 6
Graves, Old Burial Ground (Boatyard Cemetery)and Brick Meeting House, undated (20 images)

PAGE 7
Ketron,?, Wife of Reverend Ketron, undated (1 image)
Ketron, Reverend, undated (1 image)
Unknown Family, undated (1 image)

PAGE 8
Kingsport Brick Corporation, undated (3 images)
Ross Iron Works location on North Fork of the Holston, 1974 (9 images)
Unknown, undated (4 images)
Tilt Hammer Rock, 1970 (1 image)

PAGE 9
Kingsport, City’s 1st Baseball Diamond, undated (1 image)
Kingsport, Fire Department, 1917 (1 image)
Kingsport, Oklahoma School, undated (1 image)
Palmer, Colonel E.W., Home on Watauga Street, undated (1 image)

PAGE 10
Kingsport, Fire Department, undated (1 image)
Post Office, 1882 (1 image)
Preston Farm, Old Homestead at Forks of Laler Stage Road and earlier road, undated (1 I mage)

PAGE 11
Kingsport, Downtown and Church Circle, Panoramic Views, undated (2 images)

PAGE 12
Lesley Home, Destroyed by a Tornado, March 1933
Lesley Mill, Wooden Cog Wheels, 1933 (1 image)
Slave Quarters at Old Fain House (possible), undated (1 image)
Riverview Hospital / Boatyard Hospital Club House, undated (1 image)

PAGES 13-18
Miscellaneous, “Misc.,” People, Buildings, Places, and Graves, undated (24 images)

PAGE 19
Netherland Inn, Old Stage Coach Road, Excavation, undated (5 images)

PAGE 20
Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church, undated (4 images)

PAGE 21
Old Stone House, undated (1 image)
Rotherwood, Looking Eastward, undated (1 image)
Silk Mill “Old Woolen Mill” and Old Elm, undated (1 image)

PAGE 22
Willoughby, Professor and O’Brion Home, damaged, undated (4 images)

BOX 2

1. Nails from the David Ross Iron Forge near Rotherwood, c.1791

BOX 3

1. Iron spike from the Carolina Clinchfield and Ohio Railroad, c.1908

BOX 4

1. Ledger from Rotherwood Cotton Factory, 1837-1839