KC Manuscript Collection 234
Title: Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railroad Photographs
Collection Number: Kingsport Community Manuscript Collection (KCMC) 234
Physical Description: 1 box
Creator: Phil Burton
Repository: Archives of the City of Kingsport
Provenance: The Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railroad Photographs were purchased by the Archives of the City of Kingsport from Phil Burton in 1994.
Access/Restrictions: There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Processed by: Karen V. Ankabrandt, Archives Intern, processed the collection and developed the finding aid in July 2007. Revisions to the finding aid were made by Brianne Johnson in April 2008.
This collection should be cited as:
Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railroad Photographs, 1909-1922. KC Manuscript Collection 234, Archives of the City of Kingsport, Tennessee.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railroad Photographs collection contains twenty-seven photographs of the railroad taken from various sites near Kingsport, Tennessee and southwest Virginia sometime around and after 1909. Also there is an original note, on railroad stationary, which lists and explains the photos. Pictures vary in size, but most are 13.5”x10” while the others are 10”x8” and 12”x3.5.”
Carolina,Clinchfield and Ohio Railway.
Railroads–Appalachian Region, Southern.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
1. List of Pictures Sent to Dr. Dorsett November 24th 1922 on train #37 for delivery to Mr. Dennis
a. Design of Special Tunnel Lining Self-Propelled Car by O. K. Morgan C. E. for
CC&O Ry., (General View of Concreting Car, center section of side platform in
working position), 1916
b. Lining of Sandy Ridge Tunnel (Leading and storage trestle from south; entrance to
tunnel in background), undated
c. Plate Grinder, 117 feet long, E-60 loading, undated
d. Part of Line thin “Breaks of Sandy” Beginning of Grading, undated
e. Beginning work on Elkhorn Extn near Scaggs Hole
f. Elkhorn Extension, grading near M. P. Q., undated
g. Blue Ridge, Looking north from Linville Falls Sta., just after Great Flood, 1916
3. River where Interstate connects (possibly), undated
4. Bridge over Clinch River South of Shannon River, undated
5. Concrete Portal Vance’s Tunnell (north end), undated
6. Twin 30’ Arches, Reedy Creek, Kingsport, undated
7. Bridge over ToeRiver, South of Spruce Pine, undated
8. Bridge over ToeRiver at Hollow Poplar Branch, undated
9. Switchback on Bear Wallow Branch at Dante, undated
10. Mine Opening on Bear Wallow Branch, Dante, VA (Motor and Draft Tube), undated
11. Cut M. P. 234 ½, undated
12. Track View of M. P. 161 ½, undated
13.Bridge at M. P. 61, undated
14.Bridge at M. P. 61, undated
15. Clinchfield Inn at Dante, VA
16.Bridge at M. P. 23 ¾ (230?), undated
17. Bridge over Southern Railway North of Johnson City, undated
18. Track View of M. P. 69, undated
19.Bridge, North Fork of Holston River, Kingsport, undated
20. Track View North of Kingsport, undated
21. Bridge over Southern Railway North of Johnson City, undated
22. Interior of Starnes Tunnel, 1909
23. Bridge Near Thermal Siding, undated
24. Toe River Near M. P. 161, undated