KC Manuscript Collection 160
The collection contains various materials relating to the Kingsport Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities including audiocassettes, documents, newspaper articles, and a scrapbook. In addition, the collection contains several unrelated items including a music program from the 1939 World’s Fair and the book The Shakers Play Better in the Rain by Stan McCready. The Kingsport association was a member of the statewide group which in turn was a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities operated several historic properties across the state, including Allandale Mansion in Kingsport, Tennessee. The Kingsport Chapter held several events including an antique show and, for a few years, an annual “pilgrimage” in which local buildings of historical significance were opened to the public. Folders are arranged alphabetically by title except for audiocassettes, which are arranged chronologically.
There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
This collection should be cited as: Kingsport Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Collection 1939-1976. KC Manuscript Collection 160, Archives of the City of Kingsport,Tennessee.
E. Marshall Galloway processed the collection and developed the finding aid in October 2006. Brianne Johnson revised the finding aid in May 2008.
National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States.
New York World Fair (1939-1940).
Tennessee–Kingsport–Societies and Clubs.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
1. Allandale Cattle Sales Booklet, 1964 and Allandale Postcards, undated
2. Allandale Hostess Handbooks, undated
3. Brochures, APTA and Allandale, undated
4. Correspondence, 1973-1974
5. Events, 1955-1966
6. Membership Directory and Officers, 1965 and undated
7. Minutes, 24 February 1953-23 May1970
8. Miscellaneous, 1939, 1992 and undated
9. National Trust for Historic Preservation Membership Certificate and Correspondence, 1971 and undated
10. Newspaper Clippings, 1956-1975
11. Research, Rotherwood and Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church, undated
1. Newspaper Articles, 1952-1975
2. Scrapbook, 1952-1962
BOX 3 (Audiocassettes, 1970-1976 and undated)
1. Audiocassette, James H. Clark Conversation with Jim and Kay, 5 September 1970
2. Audiocassette, Fall Meeting of APTA, 30 September 1970
3. Audiocassette, APTA Christmas Brunch at Ridgefields Country Club, 2 December 1970
4. Audiocassette, Winter Luncheon, 4 February 1971
5. Audiocassette, APTA Spring Meeting, Barter Theater’s Robert Porterfield Guest Speaker, 13 May 1971
6. Audiocassette, Christmas Brunch, 4 December 1971
7. Audiocassette, Allandale Research, 1973
8. Audiocassette, APTA Meeting, 11 May 1973
9. Audiocassette, (Title Illegible), June 1973
10. Audiocassette, Meeting at Allandale, 24 October 1973
11. Audiocassette, Chamber of Commerce, January 1974
12. Audiocassette, Membership Meeting, 26 April 1974
13. Audiocassette, Membership Meeting, 26 April 1974 cont.
14. Audiocassette, APTA Conference,Columbia,Tennessee,
15. Audiocassette, “APTA and Allandale” by Kay Boles, 7:30 PM, 4 June 1974
16. Audiocassette, Article Board of Governors, 6 December 1974
17. Audiocassette, Chamber of Commerce on Tourism,
18. Audiocassette, Meeting, 5 December 1975
19. Audiocassette, APTA Conference, 26-28 April 1976
20. Audiocassette, Allandale Tour for Hostesses, undated
21. Audiocassette, “Kingsport, 1777-1930: Old Presbyterian Church, Netherland Inn, Rotherwood,” undated
22. Audiocassette, APTA Fair, c.1970s
23. Audiocassette, Mid-Winter Brunch, undated
24. Audiocassette, untitled, undated